1G Wireless Technology
- The 1G technology uses FDMA for different Subscribers by the single user on a single channel.
- Voice quality is moderate, and effect of noise is more as the FDMA is analog communication.
- It doesn’t support the Data services; Mobile handset battery will give less backup.
- The voice in this system is modulated to higher frequency up to 150 MHz or even more.
- Costly as one subscriber per carrier and hence per tower simultaneous call handling capacity is small.
2G Wireless Technology
- In second generation communications, It uses digital encryption methods during phone conversations for security reasons.
- 2G GSM technology operates on different frequency bands 900/1800.
- In 900 uplink i.e. from mobile to BTS is from 890-915 MHz and downlink i.e. from BTS to mobile is from 935-960 MHz
- In GSM different types of carriers of frequency 200, KHz is used and hence in 900 frequency band 124 carriers are used, and in 1800 band 373 carriers can be used.
- First Data service was started in the form of SMS, and later GPRS launched.
- In CDMA Up to 61 users can be communicating simultaneously.
- CDMA also has the bandwidth of 20 MHz at 800 bands and 1900 band.
- It doesn’t support the Multimedia services.
3G Wireless Technology
- 3G technology works on 2100 MHz band.
- 3G supports Multimedia services such as video calling, internet services, music on demand, and videos on demand.
- Should support 2 Mbps for stationary users, 384 kbps for mobile users.
- It is not compatible with existing 2G infrastructure, the size of the cell is relatively smaller compared to 2G, and hence more towers are required for better coverage & performance.
- Power consumption is more as compared to 2G.
4G Wireless Technology
- 4G technology works on 1800 MHz, 2600 MHz band, and 800 MHz band.
- LTE and WiMAX are two main 4G technologies.
- 4G Supports OFDM, MIMO, S-FDMA technologies for services.
- Supports very high data rates for moving vehicles up to 350 mph.According to ITU-R, the standard rate of data for moving systems such as Car, Bus, and Train should support 100 Mbps and stationary users or low mobility users such as pedestrians should support 1000 Mbps/1 Gbps.
- Supports up to 200 voice call simultaneously on a single carrier.
Difference between 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G wireless technologies