Wireless Fidelity is not a full form of Wi-Fi. It is a common misconception we do. It is registered trademark by the Wi-Fi Alliance. Wi-Fi technology also refers to any type of 802.11 (802.11a or 802.11b) IEEE standards networks. It is used to provide the Wireless Internet access to Mobile, PC, Laptop, Tab, etc. Generally at Home we use Wireless Router to connect the devices. It is attached to a DSL cable or Ethernet or internet cable for Backhaul connectivity. An antenna is mounted on it to transmit and receive signals.
Salient Features of Wi-Fi Technology
- We can connect 10 or more electronic devices.
- It works on 2.4GH frequency.
- It can provide internet speed up to 54Mbps which purely depends on upon the backhaul bandwidth.
- Speed gets shared among all the connected devices.
- The range of router is approx 100 feet which may vary.
Wi-Fi Technology Standards
802.11b: It is the first Wi-Fi technology standard in which peak speed is limited to 11Mbps. It works on the 2.4MHz band. This band is a license free band.
802.11g: It is an upgraded standard of 802.11b. It works on 2.4MHz band and can provide data speed up to 54Mbps.
802.11a: It works on 5 GHz frequency band which is also a license free band. It can provide the internet speed ranging from 6Mbps to 54Mbps depending on what type of modulation used. As it operates on the higher frequency, so range is less as compared to 802.11b standards. It also avoids interference with other devices like cordless phone, Bluetooth and microwave ovens which work on the 2.4MHz band.
Wireless Internet Router
It works on Wi-Fi technology standard. You may see following important points while configuring your wireless router.
- SSID – By default, it is the manufacturer’s name. You should change the default SSID during the first installation.
- Channel – It is also set to default value of the 6th channel. It should be changed to other than 6 to avoid interference with neighbor’s router.
- Security or Authentication Type – Under security settings you may get three or more options like WEP-64bit, WEP-128bit, WPA, and WPA2. WPA2 is latest and most advanced. You must choose this option while configuring your modem.
- Password or Pre-Shared Key – Under security settings select Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) or WPA2. It will ask for pre-shared key or password. Choose a password with minimum eight characters long.
- MAC Filter- Although it is not the mandatory but a very secure way to use wireless internet. Under wireless settings, you may find the MAC filter configuration. First, you need to enable it. Then add your all devices MAC addresses one by one. After this, only those devices get the internet or LAN access whose MAC address stored on the wireless router.
- Read it also: How to make a secure Wi-fi connection at Home
- Read it also: BSNL Wireless Modem Setup procedure
Benefits of Wireless Internet Router
- It can get installed easily and quickly. No need to lay cable in Home or office to connect with LAN or the Internet.
- To cover a large area many such devices can be attached to each other over radio through wireless bridging.
- It also provides mobility to LAN or Internet users.
- Overall expenses and life-cycle costs are lower as compared to wired router.
- Read it also: BSNL DSL Router setup guide